About this Database
Data on public and private companies, investment firms, capital transactions, and people. Provides sophisticated retrieval and personalization tools to create numerous reports.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CAPITAL IQ ACCOUNT
Sign up for a Capital IQ account (Note: to access Capital IQ after an account is set up, one must use both Harvard Key and the username and password established. HBS Executive Education participants are not eligible for these accounts and must use Capital IQ in the library only).
IF YOU HAVE A CAPITAL IQ ACCOUNT
Go to Capital IQ (New accounts as of 8/8/2018 with individual username and password. Uses Harvard Key credential)
Go to Capital IQ (HBS Individual accounts created prior to 8/8/2018. Uses HBS intranet credential)
Account holders can download the Excel plug-in. Alternatively the plug-in is available in the Financial Databases Room (FDR-4).
HBS affiliates without a Capital IQ account can use one of the Reading Room workstations for access. To see the login information from these workstations, you must be logged in to the HBS intranet.
Important notices on Capital IQ
Our license with Capital IQ does not allow it to be used at all in conjunction with any outside organization, including for internships and field studies.
We have access to the CIQ Key Developments, CIQ Transcripts, CIQ People Intelligence, and CIQ Capital Structure datasets via WRDS. Use the Compustat-CIQ link within WRDS to access these datasets (also available to Harvard users and authorized Baker visitors).
- Transactions provide details on mergers and acquisitions and IPOs.
- Transcripts provide historical transcript data and trends on 10,600+ companies to track latest corporate actions and trends from management discussions.
- Key Developments provide structured summaries of material news and events that may affect the market value of securities. It monitors over 100 Key Development types including executive changes, M&A rumors, changes in corporate guidance, delayed filings, SEC inquiries, and many more. Each Key Development item includes announced date, entered date, modified date, headline, situation summary, type, company role, and other identifiers. History depends on the specific event but generally back to the early 2000's. (Key Developments Codes)
- People Intelligence covers over 4.5 million professionals and over 2.4 million people including private and public company executives, board members, and investment professionals, globally. Each professional in the Capital IQ database has a distinct profile which can include contact details, biography, education, job functions and titles, board memberships, compensation, insider activity, and options holdings.
- Capital Structure provides extensive debt capital structure for over 60,000 global public and private companies and equity capital structure data on over 80,000 active and inactive companies worldwide.