About Baker Library
Baker Library advances the mission of the Harvard Business School by providing distinctive information services, resources and expertise so that our community excels.
We support faculty, doctoral and MBA students, executive education participants, and external researchers in their research and curriculum activities. We also support HBS and Harvard alumni and undergraduates and, to a limited extent, the general public.
The collections, both physical and digital, cover most aspects of management including such specialties as accounting and control, agribusiness, banking, business and economic history, commerce, economic philosophy, finance, information technology, international business, management education, manufacturing, marketing, political economy, and transportation. The library's collections are located in the Stamps Reading Room and the two lower levels of the building.
History of Baker Library
Harvard Business School was established in March 1908 as the Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administration. A $1,000 gift provided the initial funds to acquire a small library collection, housed in an alcove of Gore Hall (the predecessor to Widener Library).
The library was designated as a "special library" in 1911 and Charles C. Eaton was appointed the first full-time librarian in 1919. The present campus on Soldiers Field in Boston was dedicated in 1927, with Baker Library named for George F. Baker, who donated $5 million dollars to build the entire HBS campus.
Baker Library underwent a major renovation and expansion from 2003-2005. Designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects and built by Skanska USA, the updated Baker Library includes a restored historic lobby and third-floor Stamps Reading Room; the Exchange (a physical and virtual space that offers real-time business and financial information tools); the de Gaspé Beaubien Reading Room which houses the Historical Collections Department, a central stair hall that introduces natural light into the center of the building, and faculty and staff offices on each floor.