List of Deals
- 1962 Buckingham Corporation: 500,000 shares of class A common stock
- 1963 Buckingham Corporation: 400,000 shares of class A common stock
The Buckingham Corporation was incorporated in Delaware on October 2, 1933. The executive offices were located in New York City.
The business of the company consisted of the import and sale of Cutty Sark Scotch Whisky, the brand name of which belonged to Berry Bros. & Rudd Limited ("B. B. & R."), an English firm established in the seventeenth century. Buckingham had the sole right to import Cutty Sark Scotch Whisky for resale in the United States. The company had approximately eighty employees in 1963.
Cutty Sark Scotch Whisky, which sells in the upper part of the price range of popular-priced Scotch whiskies, accounted for substantially all of the net sales of the company. The share of the Scotch whisky market represented by sales of Cutty Sark increased over the years, and it became one of the largest selling brands of Scotch whisky in the United States. Case sales by the company steadily increased; in 1962 sales were 2.9 times what they were in 1958. The only other product sold by the company was St. James's Scotch Whisky, a premium-priced brand that represented less than one-tenth of 1 percent of the company's sales.
Cutty Sark Scotch Whisky's success was due to the efforts of Buckingham Corporation, with the cooperation of B. B. & R. and Robertson & Baxter Limited (R. & B.). The production of Cutty Sark was severely curtailed during World War II along with other brands of Scotch whiskies. Accordingly, Cutty Sark was in short supply until the latter part of 1960 due to the gradual postwar build-up of production imposed by the aging process required for the Scotch malt and grain whiskies necessary to produce Scotch whisky.