The HBS Archives include the records of Harvard Business School from its founding in 1908 to the present day. The archives are a rich resource to learn about subjects such as: the development of the case method, changes in curriculum, the intersection of the School and innovations in business, and the global impact of Harvard Business School.
About This Collection
The HBS Archives in Baker Library Special Collections maintains an extensive collections of over 10,000 images and 1,500 films that depict the Harvard Business School community, campus, and major events. The photographs in the HBS Archives Photograph Collections show faculty engaged in teaching, MBA and Executive Education students in the classroom and at social events, visitors to campus, and documentation of HBS buildings and grounds.
Beginning in the 1920s, partnering with the Harvard University Film Foundation, Harvard Business School began actively collecting industrial films for teaching and learning with the goal of "contributing a background that will hold the discussion closer to the real facts of the case, and for that reasons enhance its value." Today Baker Library holds an extensive collection of approximately 1,500 industrial films that date from the 1920s to the 1960s and document the development of this genre. Within this collection are 350 films produced by HBS for use in classrooms and other schools around the country.
Online Finding Aids:
- HBS Archives Photograph Collection: Buildings and Grounds
- HBS Archives Photograph Collection: Executive Education Programs
- HBS Archives Photograph Collection: Faculty and Staff
- HBS Archives Photograph Collection: Student Life
- HBS Archives Photograph Collection: Subject Files and Events
- HBS Archives Photograph Collection: Wartime Schools
- Paul J. Weber Photographs of Harvard Business School
- Yousuf Karsh Portraits of Harvard Business School Faculty
Many of the photographs in the HBS Archives Photograph Collections have been scanned are available in HOLLIS Images, Harvard Library's dedicated image catalog (HU PIN required to see full size images)