Buy Journals and Books
Baker staff is committed to providing timely acquisition of books, subscriptions, and other materials for faculty and staff research and office collections.
- Use the Purchase Request Form.
- For questions or inquiries about an order, contact .
- Materials are the property of HBS and must be delivered to the faculty office on campus.
- Journal subscriptions are renewed by sending the renewal invoice marked "Renew," with an HBS Quick Code sheet attached, to Kristien Creamer, Baker Library B71B.
Types of Materials
- Books, working papers, journal, and newspaper subscriptions (print).
- Electronic journal and newspaper subscriptions.
- Memberships to professional organizations (only if membership is necessary to receive a subscription to a journal).
- Video recordings and CDs.
- Economic, financial, or market research data. Faculty who have specific data extraction and manipulation needs should contact Baker Library Research Services staff (5-6046).
- Baker Library and the DRFD have an arrangement to obtain the Wall Street Journal in bulk for HBS faculty and staff/departmental offices.
- Books being used to teach a course should be obtained directly from the publisher. Multiple course books should be ordered through the Coop.
Faculty and staff requiring personal reimbursement for books should:
- Send the books to Kristien Creamer, Baker Library B71B to be stamped "Property of Harvard Business School" to indicate they were purchased using research funds.
- Faculty should give all receipts to his or her faculty assistant, who will process the reimbursement.
- Books are delivered within five-to-ten days. International titles can take two-to-four weeks.
- Books are sent to faculty/staff offices via inter-office mail.
- Journal subscriptions take four-to-six weeks. Foreign subscriptions can take up to eight weeks.
- If pre-payment by check is required, delivery to the faculty/staff member is normally four-to-six weeks for domestic titles and eight-to-twelve weeks for international titles.
- Journals are mailed directly to the faculty/staff member's campus office. It is HBS policy that subscriptions may not be mailed to a faculty or staff member's home.
Rush Service (for books and non-subscription items only)
- For materials designated as Rush, the library will get the materials the fastest way possible.
- Delivery to faculty will usually be within twenty-four hours if available at the Coop.
- If available overnight or next-day air from an online book vendor or publisher, delivery to faculty will usually be within two-to-five days.
- In addition to extra shipping and handling charges, the faculty/staff member will be charged fifteen dollars per item requested as Rush. This charge includes hand delivery to the individual's office.
Out-of-Print Books Service
When a requested item is out of print, the faculty/staff member can choose between one of the following options. Baker Library will:
- Attempt to locate the book through a book dealer for a fee of ten dollars per title. This fee will be charged whether or not the book is found.
- Charge out Baker Library's copy to the faculty/staff member.
- Retrieve the book through Interlibrary Loan.