Sample Search in M&A Database
Search for a list of "pure" U.S. M&A transactions from 1999 that took place in the following sectors: Telecom, Radio and Television Broadcasting, Hotels and Casinos, Motion Picture Production and Distribution, Cellular Communications, and Internet Services.
- Open up SDC and log in.
- Click on the Mergers and Acquisitions tab.
- Select U.S. Targets and click on OK.
- Type in date range 1/1/1999 to 12/31/1999.
- Under the "Company" tab in the Request - Search Items window, double click on "Target of Acquirer Industry Sector". A window pops up where you check off your selections.
- Within the ALL SERVICES folder, check off the following industries: Telecommunications, Radio and Television Broadcasting, Hotels and Casinos, and Motion Picture Production and Distribution.
- Click OK.
- Under the XXX tab, double click on "Target or Acquirer High-Tech Industry".
- On the next screen click on "Cellular Communications" and "Internet Services" so that red check marks appear next to each of these.
- Click on OK.
- Under the Deal Tab, double click on "Deal Type".
- Select the first two options at the top of the new window and click OK to locate only "pure" M&A transactions.
Set up all the steps to your search strategy.
- With the line from Request 1 highlighted, click on the "Use" icon and "Use Request 1" will appear on line 5 of the search statement.
- Click on the "Up" icon along the top bar to move "Use Request 1" from line 5 to line 3.
- Click on the "Utilities" pull-down menu and choose "Logical Set Operations".
- Logical Set operations allows you to link several requests together with Boolean logic. In this case Request 2 OR Request 4.
- Drag request lines into the box then click OK.
- Click on EXECUTE to run your search.
Your executed search will look like the screen below.
To report on results, see Reporting on Search Results in SDC.